These are answers to Frequently Asked Questions about being on
Summer Staff at Camp Wanake
What we look for when hiring staff:
- Faith in Christ and a desire to share it
- Ability to work well with children
- Ability to live and work in close proximity with others
- Love for the outdoors
- Patience, honesty, creativity
- Determination to put the needs of others before your own
- Willingness to be a role model 24/7
- Passion for making a difference in the lives of others
- Camp Counselors: Start at $210/week
- Team Directors & Health Director: Start at $230/week
- Chaos Agents, Lifeguards, Packout Director, Satellite Dining Ambassador: Start at $190/week
Room and Board (A place to live and 3 meals a day)
Every year you come back receive a $10/week raise!
Dates of Employment:
- Staff Training starts on May 30th, 2017 (3 weeks long)- with most Weekends off (Usually Wanake runs training from Sunday evening through Friday evening, with one Friday overnight.)
- Summer Camp starts on June 18th, 2017 and runs for 7 weeks ending on August 4th, 2017
--Each Week of Camp runs from Sunday (Noon)-Friday (Once we are done cleaning-usually around 9PM) Saturdays are off
- Cleaning Day/Put Summer Camp To Bed Day is Saturday Aug 5th
- There are additional paid work opportunities in August
- Supervisor Training and Program Training Dates TBD (Will be some time in April and May) For Team Directors/Team Chaos Agents/Lifeguards
What age do we start hiring?
- We start hiring full time summer staff at age 17. We will be honest and upfront to say that we do not hire many 17 year old to be on Full time summer staff. For those younger, check out our Wanake Incredible Intern Position (Wii) set up for those ages 15-18.
Time Off Policy:
- Working the entire summer is expected; some exceptions are made for school-related activities and important life or family-events. Don’t discount a summer of ministry because you can’t work the last week. All requests for time off must be submitted to the Summer Program Director at least 3 weeks in advance.
- All staff members are off from the time we are finished cleaning on Friday night (usually around 9PM) till Sunday at Noon.
- Counselors receive an hour off at least every other day, sometimes more.
- Support staff time off is each night when your responsibilities are done.
What Does Wanake Believe?
- Check out our Mission and Vision page here
Where will I live?
Counselors will live with the kids. Housing includes cabins, rustic outdoor camping, or retreat centers. This changes each week, depending on your assignment. Support staff will live in staff housing provided in cabins.
What about meals?
Our dining hall offers an excellent variety of nutritious meals and can accommodate those with special dietary needs. Staff members are provided all of their meals at no cost.
What will you expect of me?
We ask that you be a person of Christian faith, with a relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We ask that you be willing to share and explore that faith with campers. All staff are required to maintain a lifestyle at camp (including time off) that is consistent with Christian values and includes abstinence from the use of tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs.
What Positions are available to apply for?
- Check out our Brief Job Descriptions Page here
Debating between working at camp and getting a "real job in the real world?"
- Check out these great articles written by Elizabeth Dawson Shreckhise, Assistant Director at Camp Alleghany: Camp Counseling as Career Development and Top Three Reasons to be a Camp Counselor
- Need to make more money somewhere else? Consider the fact that other than your days off, you will not be spending money on gasoline, eating out, or entertainment. At the end of the summer, the money you made will still be there and not spent.
What do I do after submitting an application?:
- RSVP to an interview weekend (either on Facebook- Click Here- by calling the office at 330-756-2333, or by emailing Assistant@campwanake.org)
Interview weekend dates are*:
- January 14th (10AM) - 15th (3PM)
- February 18th (10AM) - 19th (3PM)
- April 22nd (10AM) - 23rd (3PM)
*If you are absolutely unable to make it to an interview weekend, please
call camp to let us know so that we can make other arrangements.
- Have 3 references fill out the online reference (You'll need to send them a link in an email to the form below)
Note to returning staff- **References are valid for 3 years**
Please ask three persons who know you well to complete either the online reference form or print and mail one directly to us.
- One reference should be from the pastor of the church where you are active.
- One reference should be completed by someone able to judge your skill and abilities in working with children.
- One reference should be from someone able to judge your work characteristics, such as maturity, dependability, ability to work in a team, and flexibility.
If your reference cannot fill out the online reference:
- Print out a reference form found below,
- Sign your reference forms on the back of the page
- Provide your reference with a stamped envelope addressed to the site for which you are applying.
- Ask persons to sign their name across the back of the envelope after they have sealed it.
- References should not be returned to you.
Want to print out an application and reference form and mail it in??